Search This Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

Turkey Stock in a Crock

Call me cheap, but I try to make stock out of everything. Turkey/chicken remains, steak bones, extra veggies....its all fair game and I use it for quick soups, pasta dishes, and recipes all winter.  Thanksgiving is always prime-time for a big batch of turkey stock to fill my freezer!

Remove all accessible meat from your turkey carcass. Trim off any fatty skin that did not crisp up, and set aside wings and legs for turkey soup.

Place turkey remains in a large crock pot with any celery/carrots/ onions that were in the cavity or underneath during roasting, and with any leftover fresh herbs that were in the cavity. Add a new bay leaf, a couple carrots, some celery w/ leaves from the heart, a small tomato, 4-5 garlic cloves and some black pepper. Cover with water.

Cook on high 10-12 hours until the bones are clean. Season with salt/pepper to taste (I brined my turkey this year so no extra salt was needed).

Strain through a fine mesh strainer lined with paper towels. Refrigerate stock overnight, and once cooled strain off the fat and portion into freezer bags, ice tray, Tupperware, etc. to store.

No comments: