Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mom's Mom's Favorite Chowder

As a kid, I remember my mom looking all over the market for her favorite clam chowder, the tomato-based Manhattan style. She never was a fan of thick creamed soups, so the New England style just didn't do it for her.

After a rough "this just isn't fair she is gone" day yesterday, this morning I woke up remembering that when I was an unruly teen she would always say "You think this isn't fair, LIFE isn't fair". So I dragged my hind out of bed and dusted myself off and decided to fill a crock pot with her favorite soup. My only regret is I never made a pot for her.

1 can chopped clams with juice
1 8oz bottle clam juice
4 cups ham stock (veggie or chicken will do if you don't have it)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4-5 medium potatoes, diced into about 1/2" cubes
1 large carrots, finely chopped
4 stalks celery, thin sliced
1 jalapeno (ribs and seeds removed if you like it mild)
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes with juice
1 TBSP tomato paste
dash Tabasco sauce
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Throw everything in the crock pot and let cook 6-10 hours on high (depending on how hot your crock gets). Taste before serving and adjust salt and pepper.

No comments: