Search This Blog

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Low-Carb Flax and Soy Pancakes

I love pancakes, but with choosing to cut out most of the carbs in my diet I haven't had any in weeks. I picked up some soy flour and combined a few recipes to come up with something so I could enjoy pancake birthday breakfast with my son and family, but not stray from my new way of eating. I felt totally satisfied and will be making more of these to freeze in single servings for quick breakfasts.

2 eggs
1/4 cup soy flour
1/4 cup milled flax seed
1 tsp baking powder
2 TBSP sour cream
2 TBSP heavy cream
pinch of salt
1 packet sweetener or 1/2 tsp granulated sugar substitute

Spray a hot griddle or frying pan over medium heat with cooking spray. Pour out 1/4 cup of batter at a time and cook until bubbles form and edges become solid. Carefully flip- these are a lot more sensitive than traditional cakes.

Serve with butter, sugar-free syrup, sugar-free jam, or other toppings of choice.

This are higher in fat than I would normally like, but I am avoiding milk. You could also use low-fat buttermilk for the heavy cream and sour cream and it would drop the fat tremendously.

Rough stats for 1/2 batch- 3-3" cakes:
316 calories
23g fat
13g carbs
8g fiber
5g net carbs
16g protein
352 mg sodium

No comments: